Band/Artist: Grateful Dead
Date: February 13, 1970 (check for other copies)
Venue: Fillmore East
Location: New York, NY

Source: Soundboard
Lineage: SBD > MR > DAT > CD > EAC > SHN

Description

China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Me & My Uncle, Dire Wolf, Smokestack Lightning Monkey & The Engineer, Little Sadie, Wake Up Little Susie-> Black Peter, Uncle John's Band, Katie Mae Dark Star-> Cryptical Envelopement-> Drums-> The Other One-> Cryptical Envelopement-> Turn On Your Love Light, E: We Bid You Good Night

Notes

mostly from SBD>MR>D>CD>EAC>SHN
with patches from:
mastered on 7" reels @ 15ips

Write a review
Streamed 3,226 times
Reviews
Average Rating: 4.50 out of 5 stars4.50 out of 5 stars4.50 out of 5 stars4.50 out of 5 stars4.50 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: The TRUE Bucky - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - March 5, 2014
Subject: 'The Biggie'

From the night I was down at the dorm at Columbia University buying several mind altering substances to bring back and flood Southern Ct with and saw the tape marked 'The Classic' (we renamed itr 'The Biggie' ) this 90 minute set has remained the ultimate Greateful Dead 'experience' to me.

The best Dark Star.
The best Other One.
The best Lovelight.

The best show?

I don't know.

I find it odd that despite the archives giving us everything at the tip of our fingers, the best remain the best.

I s that because they were the best of the best and folks ~ tapers and the band ~ made sure they got out, or is it our preconceived notions of what's the best?

I think it's the former.

So is it the best show?

I think it'a the best playing but 5/2/70 is better start to finish.

Reviewer: Quiche - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 11, 2013
Subject: Islam_sucks
Your gloating is indeed odious and suggests that your are a very dislikeable person. More relevantly, it's soul-inspiring music like this that gets me through some tough times at work! Five stars for the show, no starts for Islam_sucks.

Reviewer: bluestones - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - August 31, 2012
Subject: Please Help
I have the 2/14/70 late show which I downloaded from Wolfgang's Vault and it is splendid. But for some reason they don't have the 2/13/ late show. Anyone who would be willing to send me the late show for 2/13/70 will be awarded with a Dead show by your choosing. I'm only able to trade commercially available shows just so you know. I can be reached at willruddock@comcast.net.

Thank you.

Reviewer: tnduckhntr - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - August 8, 2012
He is an idiot. But I do agree with him, Islam does indeed suck.

Reviewer: rocknreel - 4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars - March 2, 2011
Subject: what a dick
Islam_sucks- you are a fucking gloating asshole, a prime number one douche! You may have EVERY GD show in the world, but you'll never be a "respectable" deadhead. What an asshole.

Reviewer: Islam_sucks - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - September 22, 2010
Subject: February 13, 1970 The GRATEFUL DEAD "Live" at the Fillmore East, New York City, New York, United States of America
.

~^|\_@|@_/|^~
~<->/<->\<->~

Boy I am sure glad I downloaded this "SOUNDBOARD" back in April 08.

I got the whole thing...all 29 songs...

This "Complete" show is a "MUST HAVE" for any respectable DEAD HEAD.

If you don't have this show in your collection, you are unfortunate...you poor S.O.B.

But I got it, all of it....

better luck next time...suckers...LMAO!

Reviewer: Black Pete - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - August 22, 2009
Subject: Is this hard to find?
I have 2/13 early show complete:
01. Cold Rain & Snow
02. Beat It On Down the Line
03. Good Lovin'
04. Mama Tried
05. Black Peter
06. Hard To Handle
07. St. Stepehen>
08. Not Fade Away
09. Casey Jones
And I have 2/14 early show complete:
01. Tuning
02. Dark Star-
03. St. Stephen-
04. The Eleven-
05. Turn On Your Lovelight
Superior audio quality
Is this hard to find material?

Reviewer: moriluk - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - May 7, 2009
Subject: Top 3 all time shows
It is a shame this show has been dismantled into bits and pieces. I especially hated the way Dick's Picks separated Dark Star & The Other One. And I no longer have my classic Maxell XLII of set II. :(

When I was younger it was this and 3/1/69 that got a lot of people hooked. But at my school even the football team dropped. :P

Reviewer: Darrylizer - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - July 5, 2008
Subject: This shouldn't be here, but here it is!
Dark Star, The Other One and Lovelight were officially released on the essential Dicks' Picks Vol. 4 along with parts of the show from the 14th. It shouldn't be here but I thank whatever cosmic force or human goof that allowed this show to remain available because it is wonderful. It starts with a killer electric set, followed by a wonderful and moving acoustic set (some of which can be heard on Bears' Choice) and finishes with one of the finest electric sets the Grateful Dead ever performed including what I consider to be the definitive versions of Dark Star and the Other One. Jerry leads the crew through an insanely inventive Dark Star that drops down to silence before charging back up into a monster Feeling Groovy jam and then Bob drives the band through the most high energy Other One I've ever heard. Then there's the fantastic Pig Pen showcase Turn On Your Lovelight. Is this the best concert the boys ever performed? Well I won't go that far because I haven't heard every show. But I will make the assertion that it has everything that make the Grateful Dead what they are and showcases some of the finest playing of their career. It's easily in the top five. Listen to it now before someone realizes a mistake was made and the show becomes unavailable. To oldhead21470 man am I jealous of you!

Reviewer: smgarcia - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 16, 2008
Subject: Ok I Get it.
I believe the first set of songs is the "early show" on 02-13-1970.

Reviewer: oldhead21470 - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 9, 2008
Subject: All these years later...
The night after this incredible concert was recorded my life changed forever. It was the night of my frst (of hundreds) of Dead shows.

What amazes me is that some 38 years later this sounds as fresh and awsome as the first time I saw them. The streaming audio of this show is supreme.

As I surf this Archive Web site and read the reviews I am amazed at the lack of gratatude some people have.

When I left the Fillmore East on Sunday morning 2-15-70 I never dreamed that one day there would be a place that I could hear this incredible music whenever I wanted to by just clicking a button.

The Dead, in all their incarnations, have always been about giving the people what they want.
I have spent thousands of dollars over the last three and a half decades on various Grateful Dead associated things and I do not regret a penny of it.For every dollar I spent I got ten dollars of satisfation in return.

As far as I'm concerned, everything on this site and all others like, it are an unbelievable gift and I am ever "Grateful" to those that make them possible.

Thank you all.

Reviewer: oh_uh_um_ah - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 4, 2008
Subject: AMAZING SHOW!!!
Excellent audio, man...real nice...wow...Dick's Picks #4 is from the 13th and the 14th of February. The Playlist downloaded does NOT match the song list on DP #4 and the Description here does not match the downloaded Playlist, so I dont' know what this is, could be the whole show, but it's amazing...the boys sound incredible, and the audio is STRAIGHT SOUND BOARD, STEREO MIX, AND SOUNDS ALBUM READY..It's fantastic...Sounds like the Master. This show is some of the best GRATEFUL DEAD ever played and recorded.

Downloaded Playlist:

01. Cold Rain & Snow
02. Beat It On Down the Line
03. Good Lovin'
04. Mama Tried
05. Black Peter
06. Hard To Handle
07. St. Stepehen>
08. Not Fade Away
09. Casey Jones
10. intro
11. China Cat Sunflower>
12. I Know You Rider
13. Me and My Uncle
14. Dire Wolf
15. Smokestack Lightning
16. stage banter
17. Monkey & The Engineer
18. Little Sadie
19. Wake Up Little Suzie
20. Black Peter
21. Uncle John's Band
22. Katie Mae
23. Dark Star
24. Cryptical Envelopment
25. Drums
26. The Other One
27. Cryptical Envelopment
28. Turn On Your Love Light
29. And We Bid You Goodnight

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THESE SHOWS WITH US, THANKS FOR THE LOVE.

Reviewer: L. Rosley - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - July 24, 2005
Subject: Leftovers on Bear's Choice
Some of the leftovers from this show (and the next night) are on Bear's Choice (History of GD Vol. 1, released on vinyl in 1973).

BTW, click the "purchase" link above and you get to a set list for DP4, but no way to purchase.

Reviewer: bottleneckbill - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - July 9, 2005
Subject: It's available, free DL
Stop your complaining. Just click on where it sez to purchase, and it will link you to Dick's Picks for this show, which is being offered for free for the time being.

Reviewer: cheyler - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 9, 2005
Subject: Wow...
It's distressing to hear all the criticism, this site has done nothing but fill our baskets full of goodies. How can you not already have the complete soundboard of both nights? They are everywhere!

Reviewer: phleshy - 2.00 out of 5 stars2.00 out of 5 stars - April 19, 2005
Subject: How about some leftovers?
I absolutely agree with Lesh 69. Brilliant idea to not give the leftovers of this classic Dead show. If they have leftovers from DP1 (12/19/73-and an alternate AUD copy of that show) and Hundred Year Hall on this site, wow, it must be bad to have leftovers from this all-time great show, right?

And how the hell can you not have either the leftovers from the acoustic set from this show or the 2/13/70 early show on this site, neither of which have been officially released? Same goes with the 2/14/70 acoustic set and 2/14/70 early show. I mean, come on!

However, this show contains an all-time Top 5 Dark Star. So if you want the creme de la creme, get DP4. But by all means, put up the leftovers!

Reviewer: FunkyCrib - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - February 27, 2005
Subject: Where's the Rest?
I own DP4 and a lot of the music from this show is missing.

Reviewer: cousinkix1953 - 4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars - December 14, 2004
Subject: The Leftovers...
I'm not sure that GDM is suppressing this music. David Gans played about 90 minutes of unreleased music from both 2-13/14-70 on KPFA a few years ago. The 2-14 Dark Star was one of the leftovers. Whew...

Reviewer: samerca - 1.00 out of 5 stars - September 9, 2004
Subject: Please make available
Please make available

Reviewer: WharfRatDude - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - September 3, 2004
Subject: Let all hear all tapes that were not copied from the CD
STATEMENT TO MP3 SITE OPERATORS
The Grateful Dead and our managing organizations have long encouraged the purely non-commercial exchange of music taped at our concerts and those of our individual members. That a new medium of distribution has arisen - digital audio files being traded over the Internet - does not change our policy in this regard. Our stipulations regarding digital distribution are merely extensions of those long-standing principles and they are as follow:

No commercial gain may be sought by websites offering digital files of our music, whether through advertising, exploiting databases compiled from their traffic, or any other means.
All participants in such digital exchange acknowledge and respect the copyrights of the performers, writers and publishers of the music.
This notice should be clearly posted on all sites engaged in this activity.
We reserve the ability to withdraw our sanction of non-commercial digital music should circumstances arise that compromise our ability to protect and steward the integrity of our work.

I agree with lesh69. Where in this statement does it say we can't trade tapes not made from the commercially released cd. There are many tunes that did not make it to the cd but the DS>TIFTOO>TOYL is one of the best continuous jams ever and should be allowed to be shared for all to hear.

Show rating Awesome

Reviewer: JRimLik - 1.00 out of 5 stars - August 31, 2004
Subject: Need Some Sense in the Poilcy Here!!
The way you guys handle the official release policy is ridiculous. If the whole show was not officially released, like this one, you need to make it available for download. Anyone who accepts the badly butchered mess that is DP4 as documen t of this performance is sorely missing out on some classic Dead. As are thousands of others because of your antiquated policies. Trust me, I believe in supporting the bands. I probbaly spent more money than most people the last 30 years on official merchandise and tickets to over 100 shows. The point is thfree music is and will always be a complement - not a replacement - with regards to the Dead. That is why they allowed record9ing of their shows. It steams me that this show was recorded for free, distributed freely for over 25 years, and now al of a sudden we can't access a good recording of it just because a few songs were released on a commercial CD. Yeah, exactly, when you look at it that way, it's a pretty lame situation. So PLEASE reconsider your position and reevaluate your policy - and only prevent downloads of shows that are officialy released as a complete show.

Reviewer: dr. flashback - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - August 10, 2004
Subject: Top 5!
Don't usually like to review an official release, since you can't get it here. But this show is SO outstanding that it deserves what meager praise I can muster compared to all that's already been said about it. Go buy it, really. If you don't buy any other DP's, get this one. All facets of the Dead's playing are showcased - folk, blues, rock and "something else" - which are the Dark Star and Other One. Rare after 1970 do we get BOTH of these jam tunes in one show, in one SET! Each is about 30 minutes of improvisation so complex and well executed - it's as if they suddenly jumped forward in time to 1973 or 74! Easily the best version of both songs for 1970. One of the true, all-time great Dead classics. You must have! Call 1-800, ha ha.
Dr. Flashback ;-0

Reviewer: reefer_man2830 - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 15, 2004
Subject: Wish I Could Download the Acoustic Set
It's too bad the "outtakes" of these shows aren't available. Since they weren't offically released, it should be legal for the material to be posted here, right?

Reviewer: jcsalem - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 8, 2004
Subject: Showcases the Dead at their improvisational best!
This is my all time favorite Dead show. It showcases their varied influences (country, folk, blues, and motown) as well as their incredible collective jamming.

The real gem of the show is the 60 minute Dark Star into the Other One. For me, it is the finest example of the Dead's symphonic improvisation (with "Live Dead" being a close second). Within each song there are references to the other as well as snatches of familiar tunes (such as Simon & Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge song aka Feelin' Groovy). In many "jam" bands, the musicians take turns soloing while the others lay down the groove. Here the Dead improvise concurrently building to a musical heaven that no one musician could create on their own.

I agree with the other reviewer that it is well worth the $$$ to add this show to your collection. Unfortunately, no single commercial release encompasses the entire show. Dick's Picks 4 has the entire second set while some of the first set songs were issued on "Bear's Choice Volume 1".

Enjoy!

[...]

Reviewer: happytrails - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 4, 2004
Subject: Duh
I probably shouldn't bother, but this is one of the great ones, esp. Dark Star -> The Other One. Worth the purchase